Strategic, analytical and operational consulting for retail and consumer products organizations.
Atlanta Retail Consulting was formed with seasoned retail consulting professionals to address the need for experienced retail consulting advice and implementation guidance at more moderate fees than the large consulting organizations charge. Today, a typical consulting resource is often overpriced, lacking in deep retail experience and, most particularly, unfamiliar with execution in a chain environment.
Our Consulting Leadership Team is headed by Pat Fitzpatrick
Patrick Fitzpatrick is the President and founder of Atlanta Retail Consulting Inc. Following his graduation from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute with an Industrial Engineering and Financial Management background, he worked in various operational and financial positions before accepting a position with Arthur Andersen & Co. Over the following 18 years, Patrick managed, and was accountable for, scores of successful consulting engagements rising to become an Arthur Andersen Director. Patrick subsequently accepted a Partner position with another large international consulting organization, rising to Senior Partner by 2003. In 2004 Patrick formed Atlanta Retail Consulting Inc.
Sample Retail Consulting Engagements:
- A major Canadian retail organization – ARC (Atlanta Retail Consulting) guided the client Retail Operations Team in a store inventory and space usage analysis. The in-store analysis included a detailed review of both hard and soft goods store fixture usage, store aisle space utilization, store display effectiveness, retail inventory carrying capacity, store backroom inventory storage effectiveness, in-bound freight cost reduction, store space utilization and future retail expansion space planning models. The analysis also incorporated a detailed grocery on-floor and backroom inventory turn and product expiration analysis, identifying significant shrink reduction opportunities.
- A historic northeast regional discount chain – ARC provided detailed financial and retail operational guidance to the firm during their operational wind-down and financial dissolution. The organization hired ARC to guide them through the complex process of organizing and consolidating the retail operation prior to dissolution, advertising and selling off the entire chain inventory in a manner that provided maximum revenue and effectiveness throughout the total company clearance process.
- An international commercial construction firm located in the Southeast – ARC performed a detailed retail effectiveness evaluation for the associated retail hardware business. The evaluation spanned sales effectiveness, advertising, service behaviors, inventory availability and condition, pricing policies and training needs. Improvement opportunities and implementation recommendations identified during the evaluation permitted the parent organization to continue operations in a profitable manner.
- A local boutique fresh format grocery store – ARC performed a detailed operational review to assist the owners to prepare the business for expansion. All facets of the retail grocery operation were reviewed, with an emphasis on: service staffing and behaviors, POS system usage, replenishment control, management communication and store display effectiveness.
- A popular high-end mountain states men’s apparel retailer – ARC performed a broad retail analysis of the business. The review was sponsored by the investment firm that was financing the business and had been called upon to invest more heavily to expand the base of vendors currently represented in the store. The results of the review were invaluable to the owners and investor in the firm and the new lines of apparel were successfully added strengthening sales and permitting continued operation.
- A major US toll road retail organization spanning numerous east coast and mid-west states – ARC structured and performed an assessment of the shopping experience. The purpose of this assessment was to identify opportunities to optimize Toll Road Retail Store sales and drive customer and associate satisfaction by ensuring the retail management structure (Corporate and Field Operations), roles, processes and tools created the best environment to deliver these results.
- A major US hotel chain – ARC was engaged to guide the operational planning process of a new and innovative Food Hall for one of their newest properties. The guidance provided assisted the management team to avoid a series of future (planned) operational impediments that would have significantly (negatively) affected the operation of the retail operation.
- The largest Southeastern US C-Store chain – ARC was engaged to work with the corporate operational team to assist them to improve the effectiveness of store execution and the (operational) launch of a new food concept. The scope of work included identifying improvement opportunities for all facets of the C-Store operation, including modifications to the new scheduling system.
- A well-known Southeastern regional produce wholesaler / retailer – ARC was engaged to review a newly developed expansion strategy. The result of ARC’s strategy review was a significant refinement and shift of the initial strategic direction. The organization adopted the ARC recommendations and avoided a very costly expansion that was associated with significant risk.
- A real estate investor / developer located in the western US – ARC performed a multi-format retail effectiveness analysis. This engagement required our team to analyze and structure a stepped improvement plan to drive retail sales across a series of related nameplates and guide operational improvement leading to a return to profitability.
- Hawaiian Island based grocery operation – ARC analyzed and guided productivity improvements. After a substantial retail facility re-design, completed prior to our engagement, this client continued to experience on-going profitability challenges. Phase I of our work included an analysis of all aspects of the retail operation and guidance on change implementation. The scope of work included: sales effectiveness, customer service behaviors, inventory control, key systems, staffing effectiveness, mix/placement, operational best practice awareness, whse re-design, and marketing strategy.Additonal phases of work are pending.
- A nationally recognized, multi-channel women’s apparel retailer – ARC performed a detailed Inventory Management / SKU Rationalization. The review provided a detailed perspective by category / department of the inventory effectiveness achieved by the merchandising team. Numerous opportunities for revenue and GMROI improvement were identified, including overstock patterns, over-pricing patterns, and color and size scale inefficiencies.
- A national (tri-channel) specialty tool retailer – ARC conducted a detailed multi-state store operation review/assessment. The analysis included all aspects of the store operation with an emphasis on best practices and labor management. The assessment has resulted in a large Phase II add-on to guide improvements in the field and prepare the firm for a late summer full-chain rollout.
- A large regional medical provider – ARC performed a triple-format retail revue for their retail offering. The review spanned the optical, durable medical, and pharmacy offerings. The review process and resultant recommendations included inventory control and accounting improvements, site location suggestions, marketing opportunities, merchandise mix opportunities, and on-line presence points. Subsequent work has included assistance with the placement of a Director of Retail.
- A top five US mass retailer – ARC provided industry research for a legal team representing the client in a significant product liability lawsuit. This process included industry-specific guidance on retail merchandising practices and the impact of product safety in the buying decision process.
- A regional Mid-Atlantic grocer – ARC lead a revenue enhancement effort. The process involved a detailed financial, operational, merchandising mix, labor utilization, marketing, and organizational analysis of this high-end specialty food operation culminating in the development of a detailed improvement program designed to allow the firm to improve operations after a period of stagnant growth and declining profitability. Leadership work to assist the retailer to implement the recommendations is on-going.
- A legal team – ARC provided guidance in a wage and hour lawsuit. This process included developing the logic and methodology necessary to analyze actual hours-worked patterns and comparison to required-hours needed from an advanced workforce management system.
- A regional Home Accessory retailer / wholesalerPerformed – ARC performed a detailed Retail Effectiveness Review. This assessment assisted management by appropriately focusing attention on the critical operating components of their retail organization and permitted the firm to regain significant market share.
- The leading US cosmetics category killer – ARC performed a multi-site, multi-state store operations assessment. The assessment scope included all store functions plus all related interaction with the corporate and distribution functions. While leading a client team, all store tasks were observed and diagnosed to identify current productivity rates and future best practice opportunities. Millions in cost avoidance savings were uncovered during the assessment phase of work. The client WFM system was also reviewed and a detailed list of critical updates were established to permit the stores to benefit from more accurate work schedules. The model store / chain-wide implementation phase is being scheduled.
- A national Home Decor retailer – ARC performed a full ERP System Assessment. The assessment included an enterprise-wide review of the current (and anticipated) financial and merchandising system capabilities. Existing system capabilities and architechure were contrasted to future capabilities and logical future systems were identified for further scrutiny. Once completed this phase of work transitioned into a full Conference Room Pilot (CRP) process permitting a detailed review of two leading ERP software packages. Performed a thorough Supply-Chain Analysis for one of the best known Home Accessory distributors in the US. The review touched on all aspects of the business and culminated in a detailed plan to realign key organizational teams, upgrade systems and procedures, and streamline the functioning of the sales force.